Some of you may know by now that my amazing Sammy dog passed away last Friday....he had been dealing with cancer, which we had not known of up till the very last. He was always so healthy....just a few weeks ago, at the Lillie party, he was keeping up with the snowmobiles and chasing Molly around.
He was the best dog I've ever known, and my best friend for 11 years. He was such a happy soul, always there at my side.
We miss you, Sammy.
~Hannahoot
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh Hannie...
ReplyDeleteDad told Sandeep and me about Sam - we're so, so sad for you. We both remember just how very, very awful it is when a wonderful, beloved dog dies.
Sandeep had a dog named Nippy when he was young, a Lhasa Apso his favorite uncle brought him as a tiny puppy from Nepal. She died before he came to America, and he still talks of her with such love. She used to take socks and crawl under the big bed in their house, right in the middle so no one could reach her, and she slept on his pillow at night. Sandeep's mother is a vegetarian but she would cook fried eggs for Nippy, and Nippy would lick off the yolk and leave the white as if it was the plate on which the yolk was served. Small as she was, she was fierce and kept an eye on anyone she judged to be suspicious.
I grew up with Gabriel, a German shepherd/golden retriever, who died when I was about 13. He liked to play with rocks, and my favorite memory of him is that, when I was swimming at Sunapee, he would push his rock off the dock and into the water and then look sadly down at me with his forehead all wrinkled, like "Oh no, my rock has fallen into the lake! Please save my rock!" As soon as I would fish it out and put in back on the dock, he would nudge it with his nose, right off and into the water again, and then look at me, with the same worried, wrinkly expression... :)
After Gabriel, there was Cody, our silly, lovey mutt who came from the Springfield Humane Society. Do you remember him? I think you were still pretty small when he died. He was a big dog who thought he was just about the size of our cat Harry. He used to lie on the couch, although he wasn't supposed to, and then sliiiiiiiide off the side when we came downstairs, like maybe we wouldn't notice that he'd been there. When he was a puppy, he slept in my room and I gave him a biscuit every night. Even after I went away to college, whenever I came home, he would run up to my room at bedtime and wait there for his biscuit.
And then there was Johnny, big rock star of a dog, who showed Molly how to jump into the pond and nibbled on her little waving legs like it was all he could do to keep from just nipping one off...
And now Sammy.
Each one of our pups is so special, holds so much of our love in their furry selves, and takes it with them when they go. They leave so much with us, though, too...
Tears, hugs, and love, from us.
Jess and Sandeep
Thank you so much you guys...I love hearing dog stories. They make me smile, see? :)
ReplyDeleteYour card was lovely too. It makes everything a little less sad when I hear people's memories of Sammy...
Thank you,
Love, HH