Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Any smarties out there?????

Yesterday I was at the farm doing the chores.  I said to Luna, "Grampa has to go put wood on the fire".  She promptly responded in a most authoritative voice, "No, you have to go put wood IN the fire, not ON the fire!"
Then just to drive the point home she repeated it, "IN the fire, not ON the fire".  Okay, so now I am having a debate with a two year old over proper grammar.  The truth is, I'm not sure which is correct.  Luna, on the other hand, is quite positive which is correct.  Any ideas from you brainiacs out there?
 
Dave

1 comment:

  1. Well, at our house, we usually say, "Put wood ON the fire"....but now that I think about it, I'm not sure that's correct. While you do put wood ON the other, burning logs, the flames almost instantly envelop the non-burning log, making it IN the fire.

    Hmmm....I'm going with Luna on this. Put the log IN the fire!

    ~Hannahoot


    P.S. By replying/commenting/contributing to this post, am I actually stating that I'm a smarty? I don't want to be sued for false information....

    ReplyDelete